Monday, March 24, 2014

Hello from Assin Foso!!!

The move went well! Yep I am deep in the jungle hahaha! It’s sweet though! No more sea breezes, but lots more rain. We headed out on Tuesday to Takoradi and spent the night, then Wednesday was the big travel day. It went well though! I am waiting for my guitar and a few other things to show up. My bags got really dusty, but they survived hahaha. I got to see Elder Cardon in Cape Coast at the tro station so that was awesome getting to talk to him for a while! He is doing good! OH! And I met an elder named Elder Baird on Wednesday. He is from good old Preston Idaho! He worked for Doug at West Motors!!! So be sure to tell grandma and grandpa! He is awesome though. He goes home in 5 weeks. I guess he is close with their family up in Preston though.

But from there we traveled to Foso where I met up with Elder Quaisie. He is sweet! We are having a good time! He is from Kumasi, so just north. Yeah Akonfudi is bush hahaha, not too much English there. That’s good to have E. Quaisie though since he can speak Twi. He has been here for a while now, so I don’t know how long he will stay. I don’t know how long I will be here either, because he is the only one who has stayed more than 2 transfers in Akonfudi, so we will see! But the apartment is "cozy." It would literally fit on the basketball court in the backyard. Not as nice as Axim apartment haha, but it’s all good! The apartment is 4 rooms, the entry is also the kitchen, then our room is from there and the bathroom and a washroom branch off. It’s all made of cement and a tin roof, the walls are green. There is cement for floor. The shower is actually lukewarm though! The one in Axim was FREEZING!!! The stove is much more "ghetto" than the last one. It’s only a twin burner. The fridge here is bigger, which is strange since this is a two man apartment haha. Oh well. And I am strictly eating Ghanaian! I have peanut butter still, but that’s all...  It is funny how much it can feel like a scout camp at times. Missionaries even write their names on everything just like scouts do in the cabins, so yeah haha.

Oh by the way, I think I will be emailing on Tuesdays from now on. We came into Foso today for a combined activity as a zone. On Tuesdays we have district meeting in Foso so we will be in town on Tuesdays. But yeah, I think that explains how far I have to go hahaha. Yeah it will be an adventure for sure!

The church building is literally 12 feet away from the house, so that’s sweet. It’s a ward too! But there is a Group (smaller than a branch) in one of the villages about 20 mins north called Bereku. So we went there on Sunday! There were like 10 people there, we met in a barn that serves as a school. So yeah, that’s sweet! I got to teach the youth class too which was kind of fun. I don’t know how much some of them understood because of the language barrier though. But yeah, it’s been cool! There is a lot of cocoa here for sure, all the people here are farmers so that’s mostly what they farm I think. This week I have been kind of lost as to what exactly is going on in Akonfudi as far as investigators and stuff, but I think I am figuring it out. Just takes some time to adjust to a new area. But it’s sweet here for sure! Sadly it’s harder to buy food here and bread is more expensive than in Axim, so I am going back to eating noodles and stew haha!!!! We are gonna be having a baptism this Saturday, so that’s great! It’s for a young woman named Grace. She lives in Bereku. Should be a great Saturday!! Teaching for me is difficult because most everyone speaks Twi, so E. Quaisie talks for most, but thankfully he includes me a lot. It’s just kinda an awkward situation, so I will try to do the best I can to contribute and learn Twi I guess. I was finally to the point where I could understand Nzema well enough to know what people were saying when they talked just plain Nzema. But I have been enjoying our personal study more now for some reason, it’s something to look forward to each day!

Those pics looked good! Tell dad congrats that is awesome he got agent of the year!!!! Those paintings looked really really good too! I was surprised you and dad did them haha!!!  I am glad that the ward is staying intact for the most part! That is good! That is awesome about Bear getting his mission call, I will have to email him! Everyone is awesome in the ward!

It’s crazy how quick time goes by! I have been out for 7 1/2 months, but it feels like I just got here! Man it is strange! I love this place and am so thankful to the Lord for calling me here! I know this is His work! I am so thankful for everything He has given me! He helps me each and every day, that I am sure of! He is definitely mindful of His servants. I will use this time I have been given to serve Him! I love you and thank you sooo much for everything! You are the best mom in the world!!!!  And dad, you are the best dad and you have taught me sooo much about how to be a hard worker and good person! You are the best! Thanks for the good example you set for me! The Church is true!!

No comments:

Post a Comment