Tuesday, June 16, 2015

























Good Mornin to you over there! I am doing great! It’s been a pretty good week here, just moving forward! I am doing great today, we have had a nice p-day thus far, it involved 2 hour nap so that is always a plus! Glad to hear you are all doing well.  Wow I didn’t know you didn’t even bring the boat out of storage last year! That prisoner needs to get out on the lake and fulfill its purpose! That’s a fine machine to be sitting captive! It really is so crazy that we are already halfway through June...oh how time flies by eh? Sounds like you have had a good week going to Park City and stuff. The new Jurassic Park sounds like a good movie too, I will have to watch it when I get back! Good old Jurassic Park! It’s a timeless classic eh? Oh for your info I was able to hand out a whole bag of those bracelets this week! There is a stake youth gospel quiz coming up and so the youth practiced this week and the YW won so I gave them the bracelets as a prize. The only problem was that we had PEC when they won so I actually didn’t get to take any pictures of them with the bracelets...I have been trying to track them down one by one and take pics haha so I will send them to you as I get them! Kind of funny. But this week we had our zone conference and it was great! President instructed us on being a "full purpose missionary" and working with recent converts, less actives and members just as we do with nonmembers. So it was really good. It reminded me of a lot of things I have previously done with other companions that for one reason or another I have kind of stopped doing, like really teaching them how to do family history. So we have started doing that again and it’s awesome to see how people react to family history. We taught our recent convert Selina on it the other day and right after we finished she went to her grandpa’s house to start. So cool! It’s not easy here in Ghana to get that info, but people try! But yeah we instructed in using the Book of Mormon to teach everyone and how it is so critical in building a firm testimony of the Gospel. The Book of Mormon was written to guide us in this day and it is priceless! The instruction went well, it was an uplifting meeting. Afterwards we had Stake PEC and President joined us for that. It went well. We went on exchanges this week with the Winneba elders. I was with E. Obia from Uganda. I went with him to his area last transfer and this time he came with me. He was not feeling well so I did most of the teaching that day. We ended up having a pretty good day, but one sad thing happened. We have a recent convert named F. that we baptized when I first got here. She has been doing good, but for the past few weeks she has been avoiding us we felt like. Whenever we went to the house we would not find her. We tried to see her another day that week and found her in the outside kitchen hiding from us. We asked her what was wrong and she said nothing and we should come back another day. So when we did come back she was in the house and refused to come out to see us. Her family had no idea what was wrong with her either so we are confused. I wonder if she did something bad and is now afraid to see us. A lot of times that is what happens when people break a commandment. So we will have to see what we can do to sit with her. But it was pretty sad because she was always so friendly to us. Saturday there was a wedding at the church for the clerk and we were asked to come at 11 for some food, which we gladly agreed to do. When we got there at 11 though, the wedding had just started so we joined the audience in the sacrament hall. Ghanaians like clapping and yelling at events so that is what accompanied most of the ceremony. Kind of a bit irreverent for the sacrament hall, but most of the people were not members so they didn’t know any better I guess. They did the wedding and moved outside for a reception type thing. The happy new couple awkwardly danced without smiling or looking each other in the eye while people came and put money under their feet for them to dance on. I got some pics of the attendees and we even got to take pics with the two newlyweds so I will send those to you! It was a good time, lots of dancing. I just sat and filmed it all haha. Man Ghanaians love dancing a lot and are actually really good at it. If you can’t dance to a song there is no point in listening to it. But finally we got fed some rice and drinks. My companion got bubble gum flavored soda served to him...delicious! Afterwards though Bishop Fossou took us to go meet some less active people who live around his soon to be finished house. So that was nice. We have been preparing our investigator Joe for his baptism this coming Sunday and he is ready! He is related to Ruth and her family who just got baptized. Oh and Sunday we were finally able to sit down and teach her husband and he was really interested and asked good questions. So hopefully soon the whole family will be baptized! They are all doing very good though.

It has been raining a lot this week. Yesterday it just poured during church then in the evening we got stuck in our member’s house for like 2 hours before we just decided to brave the rain and run home. It is rainy season indeed.  Ah and for the eating competition. Yeah we blindfolded one and had all the assorted ingredients in bags in front of them all spread around. It is a competition to see which companionship can prepare and eat the food in the shortest period of time. So the person not blindfolded has to tell the person where everything is and direct them in preparing it and then the blindfolded person has to feed the not blindfolded person. We didn’t do this but it would probably be more fun this way: Make it so the ingredients have to be put in the bowl in a specific order. There was no real lesson we taught, just for fun but I am sure you could come up with one. It’s a funny game to play and everyone enjoyed watching the videos we took after. IDK what you would have them prepare back home...Lunchables pizza would be delicious haha! JK I will leave that up to you. And no, mosquitoes have not been bad my whole mission really. Some people have problems with them, but I have not. I never have used spray. I came with 4 big bottles of repellent and we used it as ant killer in Axim because the ants were really bad there, always getting into our food! As for the bush, no there isn’t too much in our area. Even in the more village parts it’s not too terribly remote. I have not seen a snake since Akonfudi, so I count myself lucky haha!

This week we find out transfer news. I don’t expect to be going anywhere but will more than likely get a new companion so we will see what happens! I am happy, healthy and doing great! I love this work. I was just thinking this morning how fortunate the Burningham kid is that he gets to come to this mission. He will have an awesome experience! I kind of wish I was him haha! GCCM is the best mission there is, that is not a lie. I love this place! I have indeed found that quote by Elder Richards to be true. [I sent him this quote this week, "There is no greater work than that of missionary work. There is nothing so wonderful, nothing as tasting the joy and success of missionary labors." -LeGrand Richards]  I will always be a part of this work. It is the only work that has meaning. I love how the Gospel is about bringing families together. It is about strengthening the family and the individual so all can receive the glorious joy of being with our Father in Heaven eternally. I love you all so much. I am so blessed to have such a great family. I think of my great grandparents, my grandparents, my parents, my siblings and realize that I am so fortunate. I have a name to honor and to strive to represent. I will do my best to especially always represent the Savior’s name. Love you sooo much, you are the BEST! Have a great week!

PS - Have fun in Cedar City at the Summer Games! If you don’t come home with gold don’t come home at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment